Thursday, March 10, 2011

Upgrade Samsung galaxy 3 from Android Eclair to Froyo

I bought a samsung Galaxy 3 phone few months back. It came with android 2.1 (Eclair). Soon after I got my phone I heard a news that samsung is going to release galaxy 3 froyo update and it will reach to the users within 2 to 3 months. After waiting for more than 5 months I finally decided to upgrade the OS on my phone by myself. So I searched on the internet and got some steps to do so. I followed those steps carefully and I was able to successfully upgrade my Galaxy 3 to froyo. Three things that I really liked after upgrading my phone:

1. My phone became faster dont know by how much but I can feel the difference.
2. Now I can move my apps to SD card. This is really cool, now I have much more space available in my phone memory.
3. Ability to play FLASH content.

Here are the steps that I followed to install froyo on my Galaxy 3.

Prerequisites:

1. You will need Windows environment for this. I used Windows 7.
2. ODIN Multi Downloader, you can download it from http://www.multiupload.com/LFJRACWNQ2
3. OPS file, you can download it from http://www.multiupload.com/SOMN2EWF0J
4. Froyo 2.2 update, you can download it from http://www.multiupload.com/IVMSZNKNLT (password: samfirmware.com)

Now the steps:

1. Take a backup of your phone. BACKUP YOUR PHONE'S DATA, CONTACTS, MESSAGES and other things important for you. This step is necessary and you may need this data in case you encounter some problems while upgrading. You can use Samsung Kies for taking the backup.

2. Note down your phone's firmware information, in case you need to restore later. You can check your firmware by dialling *#1234# in your phone.

3. Install and run ODIN Multi-Downloader.
  • Select One Package, Auto Reboot, Protect OPS options.
  • Select the OPS file you downloaded. Click the OPS button. Select file "apollo_0531.ops".
  • Now go to the bottom section "Select Integrate Package - Check One Package Option" and click on 'One Package' button and select the Froyo 2.2 tar file(for example I5800XXJPB.tar) you downloaded.
4. Factory reset your phone (Its Optional at this stage, you can do this later also).

5. Switch off your phone. Remove the battery, so it doesn't boot up automatically.

6. Hold the Home + MENU + Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously. Until the screen shows the android icon with probably the "Force Upload by Button Pressing" words. (If those combination buttons don't work, try "Volume Down" or "Volume Up + Down" instead).

7. When the Force Upload screen appears, connect your phone to the computer with the USB cable provided and let windows detect the drivers for the phone and install them automatically.

8. Once the drivers are loaded, ODIN will detect the phone by showing it in one of the boxes in COM Port Mapping section. Now click Start.

9. The phone will load data from the ODIN application and will reboot itself. It takes a while (5-10mins). Do not uplug the phone until you see the Home Screen and have successfully unlocked the phone.

10. After reboot, run a factory reset on your phone and reboot it again. It is very very important that you hard reset your phone. Otherwise, the phone may have problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment